MaineGeneral Medical Center's Medical Records Department staff can help you get copies of your medical records. We can answer your questions and get you the information you need when you need it.
Location and Hours
We are available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., at the Hathaway Creative Center, 3rd Floor, 10 Water Street, Waterville.
Our office is closed on weekends and holidays. Requests for urgent medical records information go through our main location at Hathaway.
You can request a copy of your medical records by:
- Calling our offices and asking that we mail you an Authorization to Release Healthcare Information form;
- Printing the Authorization to Release Healthcare Information form and faxing it to (207) 626-1175 or mailing it to MGMC Medical Records Department, 10 Water Street Suite 303, Waterville, ME 04901; or
- Visiting our office at Hathaway. Please use the East entrance and take the elevator to the third floor.
We require a minimum of 48 business hours advance notice to prepare records.
If you come to Hathaway to request records, please make sure to bring your driver's license or another acceptable form of photo identification.
If you are the legal representative for an individual requesting medical records, please bring appropriate documentation to show this status.
Records We Can Provide
We can provide medical records for almost anything you have been seen for at MaineGeneral. There are certain records we cannot provide but we will direct your request to the right location.
Our department does not have birth or death certificates. Those records can be obtained through your municipal office, the Maine Vital Records Unit or through VitalChek.
We also do not have radiology images. Please call Radiology & Diagnostic Imaging at (207) 626-1485 if you require copies of images.
Authorization to Release Healthcare Information Form
Medical Records FAQs
What are your phone and fax numbers?
We can be reached at (207) 626-1441 and (207) 872-1254. Our fax number is (207) 626-1175. All calls are answered at our location at the Hathaway Center, 10 Water Street, Waterville, ME 04901.
What is your mailing address?
All mail should be directed to: MGMC Medical Records Department, Hathaway Center, 10 Water Street, Waterville, ME 04901.
How long should it take to get my medical records?
Our goal is to provide you with an abstract of your records as quickly as possible, typically a 7-10 day turnaround from when most requests are made. Due to the volume of requests, the length of the time frame for which you are requesting records, or requests for records that have not yet been completed, you may find the wait is longer.
Do you fax medical records?
We only fax records needed for patient care reasons. Examples include to your primary care provider or to another emergency department or hospital.
How far back do your medical records go?
We follow Maine State Law which states we must keep them for a period of seven years. The exception to this rule is for minors. A minor’s record must be kept for six years past the age of majority.
Who can act as an authorized representative and sign to release my medical records?
- Parent, guardian or legal guardian for a minor who cannot consent to his/her own health care
- Legal guardian of an adult patient
- The agent, guardian, or surrogate pursuant to the Uniform Health Care Decision Act
- The designee of a currently effective durable healthcare power of attorney executed by the patient
- After a patient’s death, his/her personal representative or legal next of kin.