Financial Assistance Programs
We recognize that not all health care services are planned.
Some families don't have health insurance or are underinsured and need help to pay for services received at MaineGeneral Medical Center (MGMC).
We're here to help. Our financial counselors help current and potential patients determine their eligibility for financial assistance.
MaineGeneral offers programs that provide financial assistance to patients. If you have questions or would like more information, please call (207) 872-4680 or (877) 255-4680, option 3, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Free Care. This program can help with current and outstanding bills. Eligibility is based on Maine residency, income, expenses and assets. Your bills could be forgiven or reduced. Certain other providers of health care services will accept your eligibility for this program instead of payment.
- Kennebec Valley Access to Care. This program can help cover all or part of an eligible patient’s medical bills. It provides full coverage of medical care for eligible patients with a focus on preventive services to help alleviate the need for urgent or emergency care whenever possible. It does not provide financial assistance for medical care a patient may have received before being enrolled.
A required screening determines which programs a patient may be eligible for and can be completed by phone or in person, by appointment. Once the screening is completed, an application is provided for the patient to complete and return with the required financial documents.
A single application is used for consideration of Free Care; Kennebec Valley Access to Care and MaineGeneral Community Care. Other financial assistance programs have separate applications and guidelines.
Our financial counselors can help you:
- Determine whether you are eligible for financial assistance
- Determine which programs to apply for
- Help you complete the application process
- Help you apply for state- and federally-funded programs such as MaineCare
- Set up payment arrangements if you do not quality for a program based on income and asset levels
Self-Pay and Prompt Payment Discounts
MaineGeneral and its physician practices offer a "self-pay discount" for patients who do not have insurance and are self-pay for their health care services.
Depending on where services are provided (medical center or physician practice site), the discount:
- Either will be automatically deducted from the billing statement before it is sent to the patient; or
- A notice about the availability of the discount will be included with the statement, directing patients to call MaineGeneral's Business Office to learn how to obtain it.
MaineGeneral also offers a "prompt payment discount" for self-pay balances, including balances after insurance and those for patients without insurance. Please call (207) 872-4680 or toll-free (877) 255-4680 to learn more about these payment discount options.
MaineGeneral Medical Center is pleased to provide patients with the ClearBalance® patient-friendly repayment option for the medical expenses they incur for the services they receive.
Patients often find it helpful to know how much a procedure or test is going to cost before they have it done, especially if they do not have insurance and are self-paying for the procedure.
If you would like to know the cost of a procedure or test, please call (207) 621-5397 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our staff will be happy to assist you.
Medical Staff Providing Qualifying Medical Services at MaineGeneral
MGMC maintains a list of its medical staff who provide qualifying medical services at MaineGeneral. The list is updated regularly to ensure it remains accurate and up-to-date.