Being obese or morbidly obese can cause other negative health conditions.
These conditions - whether alone or in combination - can significantly reduce your life expectancy and include:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Gastroesophageal reflux/chronic heartburn
- Heart disease High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Menstrual irregularities
- Osteoarthritis of weight-bearing joints
- Sleep apnea or other respiratory problems
- Urinary stress incontinence
MaineGeneral's Bariatric Center provides individuals who are obese or morbidly obese with surgical options to help them along a lifelong path of improved health.
These options include adjustable laparoscopic gastric banding - also known as Lap-Band®, gastric bypass and gastric sleeve.