- Most patients lose weight rapidly and continue to do so for 18 to 24 months
- Most patients will lose and keep off 50 to 80 percent of their excess weight
- Medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol problems, acid reflux disease and sleep apnea commonly improve or completely resolve after the surgery
- Patients have greater endurance for work, family and daily activities
Risks and Complications
No major surgery is without risk and there is a 0.5 percent mortality (death) rate nationally for weight loss surgery.
Risks for Lap-Band®, gastric bypass and gastric sleeve include:
- Complications from anesthesia and medications
Additional risks for each procedure will be discussed at the patient's initial consult with one of our surgeons.