What to Pack for Your Surgery
Whether you are spending the night or coming in for same day surgery, please bring only essentials with you to the hospital.
For overnight stays, please bring:
- Sleepwear if you would rather not use the hospital gown and slippers we give you during your stay. Avoid long gowns and night clothes with snaps. Pack sturdy non-skid slippers. You may also wish to bring your own bathrobe.
- Comfortable clothes to wear home
- Personal toiletry items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, comb or brush, deodorant and razor
- A list of all medications you take (including prescription medications, over-the-counter drugs and herbal remedies), including the dose, time/s of day you take it and reason for medication
- Details of illnesses, surgeries and allergies to medicines, foods or the environment
- Your health insurance or health plan card
- A list of the names and telephone numbers of family or friends to call if needed
- Your driver's license if you need to use notary services
Please label your personal items with a permanent marker to prevent loss and help us identify missing items.
What Not To Pack
- Cash (except a few dollars if you wish to purchase items from our gift shops while you are here)
- Credit cards
- Electric shaver
- Hair dryer
- Curling iron
- Your own medication unless requested by hospital personnel and/or your health care provider
You may use battery-operated personal items during your hospital stay. If you bring valuables, ask a nurse to arrange for storage in the hospital safe.