Preparing for Your Stay
We want you to be as comfortable as possible while you are staying with us on MaineGeneral's Physical Rehabilitation Unit. Here's what you will need while you are here:
- Comfortable clothes: Pants, shirts undergarments, sweater
- Walking shoes or sneakers
- Pajamas or night wear
- Toiletry items: Comb, toothbrush, shampoo; we can supply some items as needed
- Prescriptive items: Eyeglasses, dentures, hearing aids
- C-PAP machine
- Personal documents as applicable: Living will, advance directives, power of attorney
- Seasonal outerwear for going outside to the rehabilitation gardens, weather permitting
- Medications brought from home: please give them to your nurse
We recommend you leave valuables such as cash, jewelry and computer at home. The Physical Rehabilitation Unit and MaineGeneral Medical Center are not responsible for lost or misplaced items.
Length of Your Stay
Our goal is to get you home as soon as your diagnosis and level of function allow. Because each person is unique, your length of stay depends on your rehab program and progress.
Planning for Your Discharge
Your discharge planning begins on the day you arrive. Your rehab team will determine a plan for discharge and work with you and your family toward this goal. The team will discuss your progress and goals regularly, with the goal of returning home as soon as you are physically able.
Family and Friends are Welcome
At MaineGeneral's Physical Rehabilitation Unit, we know that accidents and illnesses don’t just happen to an individual; they affect the whole family.
That’s why we welcome and encourage family members and friends to be part of your rehabilitation team. We encourage family members to attend education sessions and participate in therapy sessions.
We also meet with families as needed to ensure a smooth and safe transition from hospital to home.
If you or a loved one has questions about MaineGeneral's Physical Rehabilitation Unit, please call (207) 248-0027.