If you need physical rehabilitation after an illness or injury, MaineGeneral's Physical Rehabilitation team can help you get one step closer to home.
We are a stroke-certified, hospital-based, physical rehabilitation unit that provides intensive therapies to help you regain your independence. We are located at the Alfond Center for Health in Augusta.
Our dedicated team provides therapy services to patients who need retraining and strengthening after an illness, accident or other disabling event.
Our goal is to help you regain as much independence and quality of life as possible.
What We Treat
We specialize in treating patients recovering from:
- Cardiac conditions
- Neurological disorders
- Orthopaedic conditions
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Physical disability
- Multiple trauma
- Other complex medical conditions
Referrals to the Physical Rehabilitation Unit
You can be referred to our program by:
- A doctor
- A care manager
- An insurance company; or
- A family member
If you want to speak with a referral liaison from our unit, please call (207) 248-0027. Our staff is happy to answer your questions and help guide you through the referral process. We can also help determine if you or a loved one is appropriate for our services.
Qualifying for Inpatient Rehabilitation Services
To qualify for services, you must:
- Need at least two therapies (physical, occupational, speech) every day
- Be strong enough to participate in three or more hours of therapy per day, five days a week
- Have medical needs that require 24-hour nursing care and physician oversight
- Have a goal of returning home or to the community
Your Room and Supportive Equipment
When we designed the Alfond Center for Health, patients like you were at the heart of every decision we made. On our Physical Rehabilitation Unit, this means:
- 20 state-of-the-art private rooms with bathroom and shower
- A couch in every room that can be converted to a bed for family who want to stay overnight
- A patient lift system in every room to safely transfer you in and out of bed when needed
- State-of-the-art technology often only found in larger facilities
- An advanced call bell system that goes directly to the nurse and nursing unit assistant for faster response to your needs
- Special communication boards to share important information with you and your loved ones
The Physical Rehabilitation Unit is located at the Alfond Center for Health, 35 Medical Center Parkway, Augusta, Maine.
Enter the address in your GPS device or phone or get detailed directions on our Campus Directions page.
To learn more about our unit and the services we provide, please call (207) 248-0027.