When you need joint replacement, you want the highest-quality, comprehensive care available. MaineGeneral Orthopaedics' Joint Replacement Program has the expert medical staff, technology and compassion to meet your needs.
We take the mystery and fear out of joint replacement by providing the information, support and care you need to return to the activities you enjoy.
During your care, you'll enjoy a staff centered around you, with emphasis on wellness, support and maximizing your recovery.
Your care begins as soon as you and your doctor decide joint replacement is right for you.
Your Joint Replacement Journey
You are supported each step of your journey at MaineGeneral. From your first visit with your orthopaedic surgeon, you have access to the education and support from our full team. This support continues through preoperative visits, in-hospital care and therapy that follows you home.
To achieve your goals, you and your coach - a family member or friend - will attend an overview preoperative group education session with others who are preparing for joint surgery.
You will meet with the Joint Replacement Program coordinator who will assist you during your hospital stay. You'll learn how to prepare for surgery, rehabilitation at the hospital and your return home.
You'll also receive important information and answers to your questions, including:
- The care you'll receive before, during and after your surgery
- How we'll help manage your pain
- What to do when you return home
- Tips on how to prepare your home for safety
- The importance of therapy for recovery
- Exercises to speed your recovery
- Special equipment to help during your rehabilitation
Your Care Journal
To help you easily keep track of your surgery and recovery information, you will receive a Joint Replacement Program Journal.
This journal is your comprehensive resource for everything you should expect, from your decision to have surgery all the way through your post-surgical care.
Your journal includes:
- Space for you to record telephone numbers of key contacts
- Answers to frequently asked questions
- Space for you to write your questions and record your progress
- A guide to exercises
- Steps to help you prepare for surgery, including some "dos" and "don'ts"
View the Journal
Watch the pre-op joint replacement education for hip and knee replacements:
Watch the video
Once you have viewed the video, email Heather Urquhart to let her know you have completed the video.
To learn more about MaineGeneral's Joint Replacement Program, please call (207) 621-8739.