Drug & Alcohol Testing

Providing Services You Need

Whether you are looking for federal DOT or non-DOT testing services, Workplace Health can help.

From independent truckers to municipalities to large fleets — if your company has trucks, buses, school buses, marine vessels or airplanes, Workplace Health can help.


  • Trained and certified collections technicians
  • Collection site security and integrity
  • Negative results reported rapidly (most reported in less than 48 hours; some less than 24 hours)
  • Personal customer service
  • Certified Medical Review Officer (MRO)
  • Breath alcohol testing
  • Collections at our site or at your workplace

We work with most major DHHS-certified testing laboratories.

Workplace Health at MaineGeneral Medical Center works closely with many TPAs and drug and alcohol testing consortiums including the Maine Motor Transport Association (MMTA) program.

As an employer, you are responsible to comply with U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) drug and alcohol testing regulations.

Am I Subject to USDOT Regulations?

To help you answer this question, the USDOT has developed a resource, Am I Covered?

USDOT Guidance and Best Practices

What Employers Need to Know about DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing

Non-Federal Testing

The Maine Substance Abuse Testing Law (Title 26 MRSA, Section 680 et seq) controls employer drug testing not performed in response to federal mandates. Any company that wants to have a substance abuse testing program (but is not required to under federal law) must submit a policy to the Maine Bureau of Labor Standards for review and approval.

Maine Bureau of Labor Standards model substance abuse testing policies are available here.

Attention Truckers!

Drivers/employers subject to FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) drug and alcohol rules include anyone owning, leasing or driving a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) interstate or intrastate. A CMV is defined as:

  • A vehicle with a gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight of 26,001 pounds or more
  • A vehicle that can carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver)
  • A vehicle of any size that transports hazardous materials and needs to be placarded

Contact Us

Phone: (207) 621-7550

Phone: (207) 872-4260