Millions of women in the U.S. suffer from bladder control issues and are too embarrassed to discuss it with their health care provider.
This problem affects not only the elderly, but also women in their 20s, 30s and 40s.
Seeking help through MaineGeneral's incontinence program gives you the information you want about the issues, the personal attention you desire and the confidentiality you need.
Services We Provide
At MaineGeneral we tailor treatment to your situation. Most bladder control problems can be successfully treated with minor lifestyle changes, medications or surgery.
We provide treatment for the following urinary and pelvic floor problems:
- Urge incontinence or overactive bladder - when your bladder empties for no apparent reason or because of a sudden, strong urge to go
- Stress incontinence - leakage of urine because of a cough, laugh, sneeze, exercise or other movement
- Pelvic organ prolapse - fallen bladder, rectum, uterus or vagina
- Pelvic pain - pain during urination, sexual intercourse or otherwise related to the bladder or vagina
- Nocturia - having to urinate three or more times during the hours of sleep
- Fecal incontinence - uncontrolled leakage of liquid or solid stool
- Other problems related to the bladder or female organs
Seeking treatment for urinary incontinence should start with a talk with your primary care provider.
Pelvic and bladder health can be a sensitive topic for women. Pelvic floor problems impact half of all women at some point.
Problems can result from normal aging, childbirth or disease. The good news is that treatment is available and MaineGeneral providers offer state-of-the-art therapies right here in the Kennebec Valley.
At MaineGeneral our physicians, nurse midwives, nurse practitioners and therapists treat various pelvic health issues, including:
- Abnormal bleeding/abnormal periods
- Bleeding after menopause
- Bowel control problems
- Cancers of the reproductive system
- Incontinence (leaky bladder)
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pelvic pain
- Sexual dysfunction/problems
Our team of providers will help you regain your health and confidence and get you back doing the things you enjoy.