HIV & AIDS Services
MaineGeneral has served our HIV/AIDS community since 1989. If you or a loved one is living with HIV disease, we're here for you.
We assist, support and enhance your quality of life and that of anyone living with HIV disease and their loved ones.
If you live in Androscoggin, Franklin, Kennebec, Knox, Lincoln, Oxford, Sagadahoc, Somerset or Waldo county, we offer services to you.
The Horizon Program
Through the Horizon Program, as an HIV-positive individual, you receive quality, compassionate and comprehensive medical and social services.
Services We Offer
- A clinic for medical care and interaction with health care professionals
- Case management for those living with HIV/AIDS
- Peer advocate services
- Educational programs at client events
Case Management Services
These services are available for persons with HIV/AIDS. Our case management team will:
- Talk to you and find out your needs
- Refer you to helpful resources
- Help you get into programs and services
- Help you manage your medications
- Give you information about HIV
- Offer emotional support
- Participation in the Client Advisory Committee
- Monthly client luncheons
- Client newsletter
- In-home education for caregivers or family members
- Free safer sex supplies and safer injections information
- Access to safer injection supplies in same suite as case management services
- Volunteer opportunities
- A safe place to talk to others
- AIDS Drug Assistance Program enrollment
- Referrals for housing assistance
Services at Our Augusta Location
The Horizon Program offers case management and peer advocate services Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., at our 21 Enterprise Drive location in Augusta. Case managers can also meet with clients upon request.
Our clinic is open Tuesday and Thursday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., and acute visits Wednesday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. We have a nurse and peer advocate available at the clinic.
The Ryan White Part C Program
The Ryan White Part C Program is a federal grant program designed to improve primary health care for people living with HIV in a seven-county region in central and mid-coast Maine.
If you have been diagnosed with HIV and you either live in or receive HIV-related services in Kennebec, Somerset, Franklin, Sagadahoc, Lincoln, Waldo or Knox counties, we encourage you to contact us.
Following federal poverty guidelines, the program may pay or help pay for any primary care service that is:
- Deemed necessary by your physician
- Not covered by your health insurance or an existing program
The scope of services is broad because individual needs vary. These services include but are not limited to:
- Dental care
- Counseling services
- Nutrition assessment
- HIV/AIDS-related eye care
- Medication purchases
- Help with insurance premiums and co-pays
To learn more, please call (207) 248-0460.
Volunteers are needed to prepare for and carry out our annual events. Please contact our Peer Advocates at (207) 248-0460 for more information.
Our program is supported by MaineGeneral, a Ryan White Part C grant and donations from individuals. All gifts made to our program are tax-deductible.
All Horizon Program Case Management Services are free and completely confidential. To learn more, call (207) 248-0460.