Diabetes & Nutrition Care
Your diabetes care is important to us at MaineGeneral. Our MaineGeneral Diabetes & Nutrition Center specializes in helping you whether you have been diagnosed with Type 1, Type 2 or gestational diabetes.
We are recognized by the American Diabetes Association for meeting national standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education.
- Diabetes Self-Management Training Program
- Medical Nutritional Therapy with a registered dietitian
- Gestational diabetes care
- Glucose monitoring
- Insulin and non-insulin injection teaching and management
Diabetes Self Management Program
If you are newly diagnosed with diabetes or are having trouble controlling your diabetes, or if you need long-term care and follow-up, we're here to help you effectively manage your diabetes.
Our program is led by diabetes nurse educators and dietitians and includes group sessions, information and one-on-one appointments.
- You must be referred to us by your primary care provider.
- You will need to contact your insurance company to make sure Diabetes Education is a covered service.
- Medicare recipients are eligible for a "once-in-a-lifetime" benefit to complete the 10-hour program. You must complete the program in one year or the benefit will no longer be available. After the first year, recipients are eligible for two hours with a nurse educator and two hours with a dietitian each year.
- Once we receive your provider's referral, we will contact you to schedule an initial one-hour, one-on-one appointment with a registered diabetes nurse educator and registered dietitian.
Individual Visits: What to Expect
Your first visit will be with the diabetes nurse educator who will discuss how to monitor your diabetes and assess your education needs. If you have a blood sugar testing meter, please bring it to your appointment. If not, we will provide one for free.
Your second visit will be with a registered dietitian. You will learn how to manage your diabetes with food choices. The dietitian will help you create an individualized meal plan.
Diabetes Education Staff
- Angela Moore, RN, CDE
- Venus Gilley, MS, RD, LD, CDE
Medical Nutrition Therapy
Our dietitians specialize in diabetes and provide individual nutrition consults. They also lead the Diabetes Self-Management Training Program's nutrition class.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can your program help me?
We can evaluate your current eating patterns and make suggestions for buying foods and planning meals to help you meet your diabetes management goals. We also provide ongoing support.
Will I have to give up my favorite foods?
No. Some changes are necessary and we will work with you to achieve long-term success.
How do I schedule an appointment?
You must be referred by your primary care office to meet with a dietitian. We will contact you to schedule an appointment once we receive your referral.
Will my insurance pay for this program?
Many insurance plans including Medicare and MaineCare cover medical nutrition therapy services for the diagnosis of diabetes. Please check with your insurance carrier to see if you have this coverage.
Please call (207) 621-9320 if you have any questions.