If you're looking for personalized services for you or your children
(4 months old and older), we're here for you, offering highly skilled care in a friendly, courteous environment.
Our medical staff expertly evaluates and treats:
- Contact dermatitis
- Cosmetic allergy
- Eye allergy
- Food & drug allergies
- Hay fever
- Immunodeficiency issues
- Latex allergy
- Oral food & drug challanges
- Skin allergy
- Stinging insect allergies
You must have an appointment to receive allergy shots.
As you enter our office, check in with the front desk and take a seat. A nurse will call your name to receive your shot. If you feel ill (i.e. fever, flu symptoms, chest congestion), you cannot receive your injection.
It may take up to six months before your injection therapy begins to relieve symptoms.
Tips for Injection Therapy Success
- Space your shots 3-10 days apart while building up to maintenance shots.
- Expect to wait at least 30 minutes after injections. Always check in with our nurse before leaving.
- Delayed local reactions may occur. These include redness, swelling and warmth at the injection site. Apply a cool compress to the site and take ibuprofen for swelling and warmth. If symptoms last longer than 48 hours, call your doctor.
- Do not do any strenuous exercise for two to three hours after an allergy injection.
- Keep antihistamines at home and work for short-term symptom relief between injections.
- Female patients should tell our nurse before treatment if they think they may be pregnant.
- Please keep taking all allergy medications, as directed by your physician, while on injection therapy.
- Keep your insurance information up to date with our office and let us know about any changes to ensure your billing is processed properly.
- If a few months have passed since your last injection, feel free to call our office.
New Patient Information
Before your first office visit, please ask your referring physician to send us pertinent information from your or your child's medical record.
This information should include:
- Lab test results
- A list of medications
- Chest and/or sinus X-ray reports from the past two to three years
New patient visits may take 1-2 hours; skin testing is usually scheduled for another visit. Patients younger than 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for their visit.
Unless you cancel your appointment at least 24 hours in advance, we will charge you for a missed appointment at the normal office visit rate.
While we understand delays may be unavoidable, we may have to reschedule your appointment if you are more than 15 minutes late.
If you need to reschedule or cancel an appointment, please call our office at least 24 hours before your appointment to let us know.
Billing and Insurance Information
We're committed to making your treatment successful.
Your initial consult will cost between $250 - $350 and includes a detailed history and physical exam. There may be added fees if we do testing (e.g. allergy skin testing and pulmonary function testing).
We are enrolled in many insurance plans to better serve our patients. You must complete our information and insurance form before seeing the doctor.
Each plan has its own restrictions about where and how often services are given. If you have a question about coverage, please contact your insurance provider.
The staff at MaineGeneral's Business Office also can help answer your insurance coverage questions. They can be reached at (207) 872-4680 or toll-free at (877) 255-4680.
Many insurance policies require a written referral from your primary care provider. If a referral is required, please contact your provider.
Insurance plans vary with terms of coverage for allergy and asthma services. We will work with you to make sure you receive all of your eligible insurance benefits.
We will collect any insurance co-payment at your appointment.
For patients without insurance, payment is due at the time of service, unless prior payment arrangements have been made. We can discuss reasonable payment options with you.
Please discuss any billing/insurance issues with our billing staff before your visit. Please call us at (207) 622-8660 if you have questions or concerns.
At MaineGeneral, we believe you should have accurate information to help you choose a health care provider or medical practice based on the quality of care you can expect to receive.
Click the Patient Experience button below for information about our level of care based on medical practice survey responses from patients.