Alfond Center for Health
Located at 35 Medical Center Parkway, MaineGeneral Medical Center's Alfond Center for Health provides a wide range of high-quality acute care, inpatient and outpatient hospital services and programs.
For information or to access specific departments/services, please call (207) 626-1000.
Looking for a COVID-19 Vaccine?
Go to www.mainegeneral.org/covid.
UPDATED: As of Jan. 12, 2022:
- All visitors must be 18 or older.
- Only one visitor per day is allowed during visiting hours for inpatients.
- All people in a MaineGeneral facility must wear a disposable mask. Cloth masks are no longer acceptable. If you do not have a disposable mask, we will give you one.
- Inpatient visiting hours are Monday - Sunday, 1 to 4 p.m. The visitor and patient must remain masked at all times during the visit, and the visitor may not eat or drink while in the patient’s room or any patient area.
- Pediatric patients are allowed one parent/guardian.
For all outpatient areas and clinics (including lab, imaging, same day surgery, OB clinic appointments):
- No companion is allowed to accompany a patient. Patients should come alone or be dropped off, unless that companion is necessary for physical or communication needs or is accompanying a minor.
For the Emergency Department:
- Visitors are asked to wait outside the Medical Center until the patient has been assigned a room in the main ED. Once a patient is assigned to an ED room, they may have one visitor per day as long as the patient does not have COVID-19 symptoms.
Some things that are not changing include:
- Screening of patients and visitors entering MaineGeneral facilities will continue.
- Universal masking remains in effect.
- Social distancing remains in effect.
- Sanitize your hands before and after leaving the patient's room.
- Maternity inpatients: One support person can be present at all times. A second support person is allowed during labor and delivery.
- No visitors are allowed on 3 South due to the congregate living guidelines.
- No visitors are allowed for COVID-19-positive patients or patients under investigation for COVID-19, except for compassionate care situations and end-of-life situations (coordinated with unit leadership).
- Visitors with any symptoms or who have had exposure within the past 14 days regardless of vaccination status will not be allowed to enter the facility.
Please do not visit our facilities if you have any of the following symptoms, have had contact with someone suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 within the past 14 days, have tested positive for COVID-19 or have been told to isolate due to possible COVID-19 infection in the past 14 days.
- Fever or chills
- New cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
Visitors should remain in the patient room and are not allowed to wait in the lobby or waiting rooms due to social distancing requirements.
We recognize these restrictions may be difficult for you and your loved
Common Locations for Visitors
- Medical/Surgical Units: Located on the first, second and third floors.
- Critical Care Unit: Located on the first floor.
- Maternity & Pediatric Unit: Located on the second floor. Parents are welcome to stay and participate in their child's care. We also encourage overnight stays which can be arranged with the nurse on duty.
Waiting for Someone in Surgery
The Alfond Center for Health has a waiting area on the second floor near the surgical suite.
Beepers are available if family members choose to leave the surgical area for a short time.
The Same Day Surgery reception desk is staffed from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. or until the last patient for the day is discharged from the department. The receptionist will gladly answer questions about the status of a surgical patient.
- ATMs: Automated teller machines (ATMs) are available outside the cafeteria on the terrace level and in the Emergency Department waiting area on the first floor.
- MaineGeneral Auxiliary Gift Shop: Located on the first floor, the gift shop sells jewelry, clothing, magazines, cards, candy, novelties, flowers and other items. It is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Meals & Snacks: Guests and visitors are invited to use the medical center's cafeteria on the terrace level. The cafeteria is open seven days a week, including holidays, from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
You are also welcome to enjoy a grab-and-go salad, sandwich or specialty coffee at the Main Street Cafe located on the first floor. It is open weekdays from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Vending machines are located in the Emergency Department, Critical Care and Maternity & Pediatrics waiting areas. They are also located on the second floor by the north elevators.
- Ethics Committee: If you have questions or concerns about major health care treatment decisions for a family member or significant other who can no longer make these choices, the Ethics Advisory Committee can help. Ask your nurse for more information.
- Interpreter Services: These services are available for sign language and several foreign languages.