Alfond Center for Health
Located at 35 Medical Center Parkway, MaineGeneral Medical Center's Alfond Center for Health provides a wide range of high-quality acute care, inpatient and outpatient hospital services and programs.
For information or to access specific departments/services, please call (207) 626-1000.
Looking for a COVID-19 Vaccine?
Go to www.mainegeneral.org/covid.
UPDATED: As of Oct. 1, 2021:
- All visitors must be 18 or older.
- Inpatient visiting hours are Monday - Sunday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Only one visitor per day is allowed during visiting hours for inpatients.
- For patients on Comfort Measures, two visitors at a time with times managed by the care team are allowed.
- Patients who are at End-of-Life (who are likely to pass away within 24 hours), including COVID-19-positive patients: Up to four family members may visit the patient, with visit times managed by the care team.
- Pediatric patients are allowed two parents/guardians.
- Obstetrics: One support person can be present at all times. A second support person is allowed during labor and delivery.
All visitors are screened at the front entrance, including having temperatures checked. While visiting patients, please remember to:
- Wear a face covering at all times
- Practice social distancing
- Sanitize your hands before and after leaving the patient’s room
- Stop at the Welcome Desk before you leave the hospital.
Common Locations for Visitors
- Medical/Surgical Units: Located on the first, second and third floors.
- Critical Care Unit: Located on the first floor.
- Maternity & Pediatric Unit: Located on the second floor. Parents are welcome to stay and participate in their child's care. We also encourage overnight stays which can be arranged with the nurse on duty.
Waiting for Someone in Surgery
The Alfond Center for Health has a waiting area on the second floor near the surgical suite.
Beepers are available if family members choose to leave the surgical area for a short time.
The Same Day Surgery reception desk is staffed from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. or until the last patient for the day is discharged from the department. The receptionist will gladly answer questions about the status of a surgical patient.
- ATMs: Automated teller machines (ATMs) are available outside the cafeteria on the terrace level and in the Emergency Department waiting area on the first floor.
- MaineGeneral Auxiliary Gift Shop: Located on the first floor, the gift shop sells jewelry, clothing, magazines, cards, candy, novelties, flowers and other items. It is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Renew! A Shop for Women offers hard-to-find health-related items for pregnancy, breastfeeding, cancer care, wellness and more. It is open weekdays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and is located on the first floor.
- Meals & Snacks: Guests and visitors are invited to use the medical center's cafeteria on the terrace level. The cafeteria is open seven days a week, including holidays, from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
You are also welcome to enjoy a grab-and-go salad, sandwich or specialty coffee at the Main Street Cafe located on the first floor. It is open weekdays from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Vending machines are located in the Emergency Department, Critical Care and Maternity & Pediatrics waiting areas. They are also located on the second floor by the north elevators.
- Ethics Committee: If you have questions or concerns about major health care treatment decisions for a family member or significant other who can no longer make these choices, the Ethics Advisory Committee can help. Ask your nurse for more information.
- Interpreter Services: These services are available for sign language and several foreign languages.