Quality & Patient Experience
MaineGeneral earned a 2019 Women’s Choice Award as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Patient Experience.
The medical center is the recipient of the Healthgrades 2019 Outstanding Patient Experience Award, which is given to the top 10 percent of hospitals in the nation for patient satisfaction.
When choosing MaineGeneral for health services you and your loved ones need, you expect ready access to skilled and compassionate care. You also want to know the care you receive is among the best you will find.
We know you have choices, and we know quality and experience matters
All MaineGeneral staff strive to give you the best experience – from the moment you make an appointment or walk through our doors to following up on the care you have received.
Recent Patient Care and Safety Successes
MaineGeneral has earned recognition for achieving high levels of patient care and safety, including:
- MGMC received four out of five stars by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Ranking “Best” for effective treatments in Maternity, Blood Clot and Stroke care on GetBetterMaine.org.
- QOPI® recertification for the Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care.
- Maternity & Pediatrics earned the national Blue Distinction Specialty Care designation, a program of the BlueCross BlueShield Association recognizing health care facilities demonstrating expertise in delivering safe, effective, high-quality care.
- Our Echocardiology department was accredited by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC), the highest nationally recognized quality standards for echocardiogram imaging.
- Radiology & Diagnostic Imaging’s Vascular Laboratory achieved IAC vascular re-accreditation. This voluntary accreditation shows our dedication to quality patient care and excellence.
- MaineGeneral Rehabilitation and Long Term Care at Glenridge was awarded five stars, the highest rating from Medicare. It validates the high level of care Glenridge's staff give the residents daily.
- MaineGeneral received the American Heart and American Stroke Associations’ Get with the Guidelines Stroke Silver Plus Achievement Award. This award recognizes our evidence-based stroke treatment guidelines to improve patient care and outcomes, and the efforts of emergency medical services (EMS) and our emergency departments to greatly improve response times and patient care.
- The Comfort Care Unit at Glenridge received the Maine Health Care Association’s Innovation Award for its implementation of an exceptional program to improve resident care and quality of life, enhance employee development and engage the community.
- Kennebec Pediatrics and Winthrop Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine were recognized as 2018 Let’s Go! Healthcare Sites of Distinction! for their commitment to childhood obesity prevention efforts.
- The US Department of Health & Human Services awarded MaineGeneral its Gold Recognition for our National Hospital Organ Donation Campaign to encourage enrollment in Maine's organ, eye and tissue donor registry.
- MaineGeneral received the C. Everett Koop Award Honorable Mention for improving the well-being of employees through evidence-based health promotion programs.
- MaineGeneral’s Baby-Friendly Birth Facility Designation was renewed. The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) ensures birth facilities become centers of breastfeeding support for new moms and babies.
- In July 2018, our medical practices launched Real-time Feedback to learn from patients through a short email or phone survey soon after their visit. We received 42,000 responses from July 2018 to February 2019 – a dramatic increase over previous responses to paper surveys. We've learned that getting through to our offices, scheduling timely appointments, staff helpfulness, addressing medication costs and including you in your health decisions are very important. We're making progress in these areas.
At MaineGeneral, we believe you should have accurate information to help you choose a hospital or health care provider based on the quality of care you can expect to receive.
You can learn about hospital quality and safety from many sources, including federal agencies, nonprofit and consumer organizations and health care accrediting agencies.
This section will help you compare MGMC with other hospitals in objective and measurable ways.
Please use this information to evaluate our care and help your family make the best decisions about your health care.
Click on the practice-specific Patient Experience Reports below for information about our level of care based on medical practice survey responses from patients.
We think we do an excellent job - but don't take our word for it.
You can also read publicly released reports about our level of care under the Quality Reporting Sites section and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like more information.
Patient Experience Reports (Medical Practices)
MaineGeneral performs many actions to prevent or lower the risk of infection in hospitalized patients, including following well-established guidelines for reducing or eliminating infection risks.
We also follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines for identifying and reporting infections.
MaineGeneral also is among many hospitals in the U.S. that have voluntarily implemented practices to improve the quality and safety of our patients' health care. Safety is our number-one priority!
Partnering with our Patients: Hand Hygiene Campaign
Good hand hygiene is key to preventing the spread of infection to patients.
MGMC was one of the first hospitals in Maine to join the Partnering with Our Patients hand-washing campaign.
Hospitalized patients receive education about hand hygiene and are encouraged to ask their care providers if they have cleaned their hands.
The program is a cooperative project among MaineGeneral, the University of Pennsylvania and Steris, our soap supplier.
At this point, Maine and U.S. data are not available for comparison purposes.
Physician Office Care
Patients receive most of their health care in a medical practice or care provider's office. That's why it's important to know how your care providers stack up!
Information on how physician practices in Maine perform, as well as how they care for patients with certain medical conditions, is available from the Maine Health Management Coalition (MHMC).
MHMC rates physician practices that care for adults, children and orthopaedic and cardiology patients.
For adults, MHMC rates care for people with diabetes and heart disease as good, better or best. It also indicates whether practices have systems for safe care, such as how well they track test results, send reminders and avoid medication errors.
For pediatric practices, the MHMC examines immunizations and care for children with asthma as well as the safe-care systems mentioned above.
View current quality ratings at Maine Health Management Coalition.
Keeping a current list of your medications is one way to help your care providers take the best possible care of you!
Knowing your exact medications and dosages is key to preventing medication errors.
An emergency — or even a scheduled test or treatment — can be stressful and is not the best time to gather your medication history.
However, your care provider and our hospital staff can't accurately treat you without this vital information.
To avoid problems, follow the tips below to create your medication list.
What to Include
Your medication list should include the following information for each medication you take:
- Medication name
- Dosage (in mg)
- How often you take it
- Prescriptions from your health care provider(s)
- Over-the-counter medications
- Dietary supplements
- Herbal medications
In addition, you should:
- Know if you are allergic to any medications; and
- Keep a list of your allergies and sensitivities to medications and the type of reaction you've had.
Finally, it's important to answer the following questions about each medication:
- What is it for?
- What common side effects do you experience, if any?
- How long do you need to take it?
- What interactions may occur with other medications?
- Do diet or activity affect this medication?
Quality Reporting Sites