MaineGeneral Medical Center Call for Art Celebrating Health Care Heroes
The MaineGeneral Medical Center (MGMC) Art Committee invites Maine artists to submit art inspired by the heroic efforts of Maine’s frontline health care workers in caring for the sick and keeping the rest of us safe and well during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Selected art will be purchased for permanent display at the Alfond Center for Health in Augusta and the Thayer Center for Health in Waterville (additional sites are possible) to mark this unique moment in time. All two-dimensional media are welcome, including, but not limited to, painting, pastel, hand-pulled prints, mixed media, murals (must be completed off site) and photography. Diptychs and triptychs are welcome.
Friday, August 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. is the deadline for art submission. Materials received after this date may be excluded from consideration. Artists may expect to be contacted with results on or before September 1, 2021.
How to submit your work
Submit the following information to email@example.com on or before the deadline:
- A current resume
- Contact information, including phone, email and mailing address
- A link to your artist’s website if applicable
- A description of your submitted work, including media, size and price for the art work, cost of framing and any details about its inspiration.
- A high-quality jpg image of your finished work or concept sketch as an attachment; please do not paste this into the body of your email. Name the file with your name and the word “submission” as follows: JaneDoeSubmission.pdf
- If you are submitting a sketch of your idea, please attach an additional three jpgs of finished work in a similar style. Again, these need to be submitted as attachments; please do not paste them into the body of your email. Name each pdf file with your name and the word “example” and number: JaneDoeExample1.pdf
- Send all requested information in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email subject line, please write your name and “pandemic call”: Jane Doe pandemic call
A committee composed of members of the MGMC Art Committee and MGMC staff will consider submissions and make the final selections.
Staff and volunteers of MaineGeneral Health are not eligible to participate. The project is open to all artists age 18 and over, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, military status, sexual orientation, marital status or physical disabilities.
About the Committee
The MGMC Art Committee was formed to coordinate the display of art in MaineGeneral facility public areas for the enjoyment of patients, visitors and staff.
Committee members – all volunteers – solicit proposals from Maine artists who wish to exhibit their work. They evaluate applications, schedule exhibits and make arrangements to display the artwork in designated galleries in the Alfond Center for Health in Augusta and the Thayer Center for Health in Waterville. For more information, please visit our web page: https://www.mainegeneral.org/about-us/mgmc-art-committee/
Displayed artwork may be for sale at the committee’s discretion, with 20 percent of the sale price retained as commission. Commissions help purchase more works of art selected by the committee for the medical center’s permanent collection and fund special projects like this call for art.
If you have questions, please contact Jo Horn at 207-626-1244 or email@example.com.