MaineGeneral Expands Next Step Needle Exchange Hours
In response to community need, MaineGeneral Health has expanded its needle exchange hours in Augusta and Waterville.
“The needs of individuals at different levels of recovery have increased during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Shane Gallagher, manager of Harm Reduction at MaineGeneral. “We are pleased to increase access to valuable, free services.”
Individuals over the age of 18 can access the following free services, including:
- Syringe exchange
- Sterile supplies
- Safe-sex dispensary and education
- NARCAN® nasal spray
- HIV/HCV rapid testing
- Overdose prevention and education
- Connections to telephonic/virtual recovery supports
- Referrals to primary care, treatment, housing and food resourcesEmergency food bags
Funding from the State of Maine supports the expanded access.
Augusta Next Step Needle Exchange, 9 Green Street, is open:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 12:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday from 8:30 a.m. - noon
Waterville Next Step Needle Exchange, Thayer Center for Health, 149 North Street, is open:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 12:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Friday: 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
To learn more about overdose prevention, HIV, Hepatitis, sexually transmitted infections and staying healthy during this time, visit the MaineGeneral Harm Reduction Facebook page at or contact Shane Gallagher at email@example.com.