COVID-19 Testing & Screening
If you have COVID-19 Symptoms
MaineGeneral prioritizes COVID-19 testing to the following:
- Hospitalized patients with severe illness
- Those living in high-risk areas such as long-term care facilities or homeless shelters
- Health care workers and first responders providing direct patient care
- Those who are having certain procedures at MaineGeneral and have been told they need pre-procedure testing
- Someone with COVID-19 symptoms who has contacted their primary care provider office and has received an order for a test
To preserve supplies, MaineGeneral will test people in this last category only after they have followed the procedure by contacting their primary care office and have received an order for a test.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19, please call your primary care provider.
As the Kennebec Valley’s largest health care provider, MaineGeneral is proudly supporting our community during the COVID-19 pandemic. We greatly appreciate our collaboration with state and other health care providers during these unprecedented times. We are pleased to aid in the reopening of the state by expanding testing resources to asymptomatic people, in accordance with the Maine Department of Health & Human Services Standing Order. Such testing is done separate from other COVID-19 testing we are doing across our health system.
Here's what you need to know about asymptomatic testing at MaineGeneral:
In partnership with the State of Maine, we are offering limited COVID-19 testing for asymptomatic people in accordance with the DHHS Standing Order.
This service is for asymptomatic people only who meet the Standing Order criteria. Here are the details about the testing:
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 testing begins at MaineGeneral on Monday, July 20, 2020.
- Hours of testing are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Testing is by appointment only. Appointments must be made by phone, Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Call 207-621-7590.
- The location for this testing is at MaineGeneral Workplace Health in Augusta. There is a tent behind the Augusta location at
21 Enterprise Drive. This facility is the second building you will come to on Enterprise Drive.
- There will be designated parking at the testing location. Testing will occur in the tent outside.
- We have limited capacity to test each day. You must call for an appointment.
- MaineGeneral will provide the test results by phone or U.S. mail.
Management of Patients with COVID-19 Symptoms or Concerns within Primary Care
To help stop the spread of COVID-19:
- If you call with general questions about COVID-19, our staff will direct you to 211 and the federal and state CDC websites.
- If you have mild symptoms or want to speak with a medical staff member, a phone visit will be arranged the same day, preferably with your primary care provider (PCP). Based on your phone visit, medical staff may schedule an in-person visit if needed. These visits will be in the afternoon.
- If the practice staff asks you to come in to the primary care office for an evaluation or test, you will be asked to wait inside your car and call the practice when you arrive for your visit.
- If you have severe symptoms (fever, sore throat, trouble breathing), we will refer you to the Emergency Department (ED). We can call 911 for you and tell the ED you are coming.
The state has provided a resource to find testing sites by zip code. You can find that resource here.