COVID-19 Testing & Screening
If you have COVID-19 Symptoms
MaineGeneral prioritizes COVID-19 testing to the following:
- Hospitalized patients with severe illness
- Those living in high-risk areas such as long-term care facilities or homeless shelters
- Health care workers and first responders providing direct patient care
- Those who are having certain procedures at MaineGeneral and have been told they need pre-procedure testing
- Someone with COVID-19 symptoms who has contacted their primary care provider office and has received an order for a test
If you have symptoms of COVID-19, please call your primary care provider.
Starting Monday, Feb. 7, patients having elective procedures requiring general anesthesia may need to be tested for COVID-19 three days before their procedure, regardless of their vaccination status.
Testing will take place at Workplace Health, 21 Enterprise Drive, Augusta and 149 North Street, 3rd Floor, Waterville. Workplace Health will call patients to schedule this testing. Patients will receive the rapid antigen testing. If there is a positive result or patients fail to get their COVID-19 test, the referring practice will be called and the procedure may need to be rescheduled.
MaineGeneral is taking this step due to the continued high numbers of COVID-19 in our community as well as research showing that patients with COVID-19 who undergo general anesthesia have worse clinical outcomes, whether or not they are asymptomatic. We believe this is the right thing to do for patients and families.
If you have any questions about this new process, please call Workplace Health at (207) 621-7590.
MaineGeneral offers asymptomatic testing (testing for those who do not have COVID symptoms) in one location by appointment only. Testing is at MaineGeneral Workplace Health in Augusta, 21 Enterprise Drive. We offer different kinds of tests, including the rapid test, with results available in about an hour.
- Hours of testing are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Testing is by appointment only. Appointments must be made by phone, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Call 207-621-7590.
- The entrance is in the back of the building at the MaineGeneral Workplace Health location at 21 Enterprise Drive, Augusta. This facility is the second building you will come to on Enterprise Drive.
- We have limited capacity to test each day. You must call for an appointment.
- MaineGeneral will provide the test results by phone, email or U.S. mail.
- We offer free Maine Swab and Send PCR testing. Results for this test take three business days to come back. We also offer a free rapid COVID-19 antigen test that is not suitable for travel purposes; results in one hour.
- The rapid antigen test costs $25.
- We also offer a flu and COVID-19 rapid test for $50.
Management of Patients with COVID-19 Symptoms or Concerns within Primary Care
To help stop the spread of COVID-19:
- If you call with general questions about COVID-19, our staff will direct you to 211 and the federal and state CDC websites.
- If you have mild symptoms or want to speak with a medical staff member, a phone visit will be arranged the same day, preferably with your primary care provider (PCP). Based on your phone visit, medical staff may schedule an in-person visit if needed. These visits will be in the afternoon.
- If the practice staff asks you to come in to the primary care office for an evaluation or test, you will be asked to wait inside your car and call the practice when you arrive for your visit.
- If you have severe symptoms (fever, sore throat, trouble breathing), we will refer you to the Emergency Department (ED). We can call 911 for you and tell the ED you are coming.
The state has provided a resource to find testing sites by zip code. You can find that resource here.