Renovations to the Thayer Center for Health are under way. All services at our Thayer, Seton, FirstPark, Kennedy Memorial Drive, Elmwood, Hathaway, Oakland and Fairfield locations remain open as usual. Once renovations are complete, Thayer will be the most comprehensive outpatient center in Maine.
There is a a great deal of construction activity occurring throughout the Thayer Center for Health and contractors have also started some work on the grounds as well.
This is in preparation for the new “site plan” that will include a canopy and vestibule to provide patients and families with a better experience when dropping off/entering the building, especially in bad weather. The site work also includes redesigning the parking area and traffic pattern near the Main Entrance.
The East Entrance will become the new Main Entrance while the current Main Entrance will continue as an entrance to the dialysis and cardiovascular areas.
- Late March: The Cardiac Rehab gym is scheduled to move into its new location on the first floor (where Nephrology, Spiritual Care and some Medical Records offices were formerly located).
- Late March: The Library will be moved into the basement where Imaging Transcription was formerly located (next to the Dean Auditorium entrance).
- Early April: The Outpatient Lab will move to the East corridor (between Endoscopy and the elevators).
Areas Under Construction
- Stat Lab
- 2nd floor:
- The former Critical Care Unit (CCU) space is being redeveloped as the new surgical waiting area and practice space.
- The former 2 Central Unit is being redesigned into space for Maine Dartmouth Family Practice, the Maine Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency and the Maine Dartmouth Collaborative Care Center.
- Former Coffee Shop / Gift Shop / waiting area: Contractors will soon start removing concrete from the former oncology linear accelerator vault. The vault varies in thickness from 3 to 5 feet and contains about 1 million pounds of concrete. Demolition work will be done at night and on weekends.