Regardless of your age, a problem with a knee joint can keep you
from doing the activities you enjoy.
Pain and stiffness may even limit the daily tasks you can do and
knee joint problems tend to worsen over time.
You may not have to live with knee pain for the rest of your
life. Knee replacement surgery almost always reduces joint pain.
During surgery, the damaged knee joint is replaced with an
For many people, having a knee replacement means a return to
Benefits of Surgery
After a knee replacement, you can look forward to moving more
easily. Most people gain all of the following benefits:
- Elimination of or greatly reduced joint pain. Even the pain
from surgery should subside within weeks.
- Increased leg strength. Without knee pain, you'll be able to
use your legs more and you'll build up your leg muscles.
- An improved quality of life by allowing you to do daily tasks
and low-impact activities in greater comfort.
- Years of easier movement.
Risks and Complications
As with any surgery, knee replacement has possible risks and
complication that include:
- Reaction to the anesthesia
- Blood clots
- Damage to nearby blood vessels, bones or nerves
- Dislocation of the kneecap