At MaineGeneral's Alzheimer's Care Center, we treat residents and clients with dignity and kindness. We recognize all as people with unique interests, needs and backgrounds.
Our home, in a private, wooded area on a tree-lined avenue, is an assisted living home for people diagnosed with Alzhiemer's disease or another type of dementia. Opened in 1988, we were the first home in the country designed and staffed specifically for the special needs of people with dementia. We have consulted with others to create similar homes worldwide.
Attached to our home is a beautiful Adult Day Program wing, affectionately called "the Club." Our specialy trained staff provide a positive and stimulating environment during the day for people with dementia so caregivers can work, rest or tend to other family needs.
Assisted Living Services
- A secure setting with expert care and support 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- An interdisciplinary team which includes a full-time registered nurse, an activity director, a social worker and compassionate, highly-trained staff
- Engaging routines, activities, performances, visiting pets and community experiences including visits to local schools, civic groups and churches
Adult Day Program, "The Club": a program for people with dementia living at home and to support caregivers who work, tend to their own needs or simply to rest
- Hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Stimulating, friendly and secure enrironment
Support groups for our families and others in the community
Family and caregiver education and help during the changes that occur as a person's dementia progresses
Professional education and consultation to staff at other homes, students, community members and health professionals
The Alzheimer's Care Center is financially supported by resident fees, the MaineGeneral Health system, United Way contributions and donor gifts.
- Alzheimer's Care Center: (207) 626-1770
- Adult Day Services: (207) 626-1769
- To Volunteer: (207) 626-1770