MaineGeneral's cardiovascular care department provides non-invasive adult inpatient and outpatient diagnostic testing of heart functions under the supervision of a cardiologist.
Physician referral is required and same-day testing is available if needed. The tests and procedures we offer include:
- Stress Echocardiography: We take an ultrasound of
your heart while you are walking on a treadmill or taking a medication
that stresses the heart. The images show if part of your heart is not
working well, which may be a sign that your heart is not getting enough
blood or oxygen because of blocked or narrowing arteries.
- Nuclear Stress Testing: We use a special medicine
and cameras to take images of your heart. The images show blood flow to
your heart before and after stress to help physicians see if your heart
is getting enough blood.
- Transesophageal Echocardiography: This test takes a
detailed ultrasound of your heart. This test includes a thin tube that
goes into your mouth and down your throat to get very clear pictures of
your heart and valves.
- EKG or ECG: This test helps find out the cause of
chest pain which could be caused by a heart attack or other causes. It
measures electrical activity of your heart. With this test we can:
- Find the cause of heart disease symptoms such as shortness of breath, dizziness or irregular heartbeats
- Find out if the walls of your heart are too thick
Check if medicines are working
- Check if pacemakers or other devices implanted in your heart are working
- Check the health of your heart if you have other problems brought on
by smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes and other conditions
- Holter monitoring and event monitors: We can watch your EKG over a longer time. You wear a monitor at home so the physician can see if you have a problem.
- Echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart): This
test uses sound waves to creat a moving picture that cardiologists read
to see the heart beating, the heart valves and other structures of the