Medical oncology is cancer treatment using medicine (chemotherapy) rather than radiation.
When it comes to cancer treatment, MaineGeneral's renowned staff of medical oncologists and nurses — matched with state-of-the-art technology — provides the best possible cancer care available anywhere.
We work with you and your family throughout your treatment and recovery and provide support and answers to your questions about your illness, treatments and follow-up care.
Our Approach to Care
We want you to continue your daily routine as much as possible. That's why we're committed to helping you manage your symptoms and side effects. We will help you maintain a normal lifestyle through clinical assessment, nutrition and emotional support and pain management.
Our medical oncologists diagnose and treat cancer and tumors and also may diagnose and treat disorders of the blood and blood-forming tissues. They work as part of a multidisciplinary team that includes radiation oncologists, surgeons, occupational and physical therapists, breast care coordinators nutritionists and social workers.
We work closely to determine the best treatment options for each type of cancer and provide chemotherapy and other therapies to treat and manage the disease and its symptoms for outpatients at the Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care and inpatients at the Alfond Center for Health.
Our team also includes:
- Nursing staff who educate, treat and support patients with cancer and blood diseases
- Oncology-registered nurses who are chemotherapy certified and specially trained to address patient needs
- A full-time pharmacist who specializes in oncology
- Certified medical assistants with specialty training tailored to their roles
Our medical oncology services include:
- Blood and/or blood product transfusions
- Bone marrow biopsies
- Bone marrow transplant
- Chemotherapy treatments
- External radiation
- Lymphedema services
- Plasmapheresis (by referral)
- Wound, ostomy and continence nursing for inpatients and outpatients
HACCC Medical Oncology
361 Old Belgrade Road
Augusta, Maine 04330
Phone: (207) 621-6100 or toll free (800) 593-4024
TTY: 711 (Maine Relay Service)
Fax: (207) 621-6102